This Will Give You Goosebumps!

 Gotcha!


Until last week I never really thought about the effect fonts have on us as people. When I think of a font that is the most memorable to me, it would have to be the “GOOSEBUMPS” book's title font. The books were really popular when I was growing up, and being in a horror genre, it only made sense that every aspect of the book would connect. From the cover to the title, to the content on the pages. 


In the article “What is Good Typography” by Mathew Butterick, Mathew states, “Good typography makes the text more effective”. He later states, “Your ability to produce good typography depends on how well you understand the goals of your text”. This means that if you ever looked at a text and felt something, or became thought provoked by it, the creator is on the right path. Using the example of Goosebumps, R. L. Stine knew exactly what his mission was with the books he wrote. The font that was used for the title of every book was not an accident, but an intended choice. Looking at the green slime falling off of each letter gives you enough clues to understand what you’re getting yourself into, but leaves enough mystery to want to discover more. 



Interestingly enough being a Psychology major I also understand that there are many things out there that affect us subconsciously. Things we may not notice, but definitely have an effect on our brain. Of Course, I'm talking about advertisements. In our day and age, ads are just part of the day. TV, social media, highways, trains, radio, etc. No one is safe. Ads have found their way into every aspect of our life. In the article “Typography: A Vital Component in the World of Advertisement” by Evok Advertising, Chris LeBlanc writes, “When someone looks at an ad or a page on a website, they instantly know whether what they are looking at is aesthetically pleasing, or if there’s something about it that just doesn’t work.” Even without really thinking about it we know that if something looks pleasant to read, we will most likely read it. On the other hand, if something is a mess and inconsistent, most people won't even bother. This is exactly why Typography is crucial in advertising. The main objective is to get people to see your product, or read about it, but before that, the main objective is to make it look presentable to the consumer. Similarly, the article “The Importance of Typography in Advertising” by Kara Holmstrom talks about the many aspects of typography in advertising. Kara claims, “Typography is important in advertising because it tells the consumer what they’re reading and why it’s important to them.” 






Overall I never understood how much typography really means to us as people and its potential of being a vessel of information. One thing a lot of the articles I have read have in common is being in agreement that typography is often overlooked and underestimated. It’s also a lot harder than it looks. Every time we try to put up a blog we are all met with the same choice, what kind of font to use, the size of the font, the spacing between words, etc. In all honesty, it is a dilemma I still face because I over criticize myself and can’t make a dang choice.


Until next time,

Konstantyn

Comments

  1. Konstantyn, I like how you used product advertising as an example where choice of font is very intentional and critical to the performance of the ad. It's so easy to overlook the attention to detail that companies and designers use when trying to market a specific product, and sometimes the use of certain fonts can actually be the determining factor in whether or not we decide to trust or purchase from a brand.

    - Tucker D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Konstantyn,

    First of all, yes you did get me. I knew what this post was going to be in regards to but I still walked in expecting something creepy so GREAT use of an attention getter as your title.
    When I was younger I also loved the goosebumps books! That is an excellent example of effective typography and I wish I would've thought about it for my own blog. I also remember the word goosebumps was embossed and actually had little bumps on it when you touched it on some covers, do you remember this? Now I wonder if that falls in line with typography or if that is categorized differently? I'm going to try to remember to ask Professor Levy about this on Monday.
    I also never fully comprehended how important typography is and I'm going into digital marketing so this chapter unit was huge for me. I'm hoping that you and I will both become less critical of ourselves after we're done with this course and take these lessons with us to make easier decisions in our future careers.
    Great post, and good luck with everything!

    - Vanessa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts